Last night I decided to make homemade coconut oil and shea butter lotion bars. A coworker encouraged me to make these, I didn’t actually need much coaxing, she said “Do you know where to get shea butter, I want to make lotion bars” and I said, “Oh I have shea butter and wanted to make them for awhile, send me your recipe and I’ll make them tonight.” And I did!
I have a LARGE glass jar I’ve dedicated to making lotions, you could probably get it clean but it would take a lot of work. I don’t clean it between since I’m just going to gunk it up with lotion ingredients again in the future.
Lotion Bar Recipe:
Equal parts Raw Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, and Beeswax. I used 2/3 cup and made 6 large (full) bars.
- 2/3 cup beeswax (buy here)
- 2/3 cup raw shea butter (buy here)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil (I got mine from Costco!)
- Essential Oils of your choice: I used Lavender, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Peppermint, and Citrus
- Silicone molds – I used a muffin tray (buy here)
These heart molds would be fun for Valentine’s Day.
1. Combine all ingredients together in a glass jar with a lid. Place jar in a pot filled with water. Bring to a boil allowing the water to melt the content of your jar. Be careful to use enough water to melt the ingredients but not too much that it causes your jar to float. This will take between 10 and 20 minutes.
2. Pour your fully melted liquid into your mold. Add essential oils if desired, I used between 5 and 8 drops in each bar, and left some unscented. Stir oils in with toothpick or chopstick.
3. Let cool for a few hours or overnight. Then pop them out of the mold, and they are ready to go! I put mine in labeled muffin cups and tied with yarn. You can make these into cute little gifts and they are very kid friendly too.
That’s it….really. It was really easy. The hardest part was washing the measuring cup after using to get out the coconut oil and shea butter. My shea butter is yellow, next time I’ll get white to keep the color lighter. The yellow shea butter also causes my homemade lotion to be yellow instead of white.
Here are some photos so you can see, that it really is that easy.