Can what you eat cure your acne? It’s an interesting question. One thing many people find when they switch to a Paleo diet is that their skin clarity gets better, if you have adult acne it usually clears up with the elimination of excess omega 6s and other inflammatory foods like grains, legumes, and specifically diary from your food. I noticed a big improvement in my skin clarity when I went full Paleo and cut the dairy – as a girl that has been on anti-acne medication pretty much since I was 13 and have been through 3 courses of accutane (trust me you don’t want to try this) learning that what I eat or don’t eat could cure my acne was ground breaking.
So I learned about the dairy trigger, if I have some dairy 2 -3 days later it manifests itself on my face as a lovely reminder. That’s one reason why I may appear to have such great willpower – eat that piece of cheese now for 1 minute of satisfaction and then I have to deal with the aftermath in the form of pimples, usually on my face, for a full week. That direct reaction makes it much easier to pass on cheese, milkshakes, and anything else dairy related.
Now that I’ve been Paleo for a while, I’ve learned what foods I’m sensitive too and am more in tune with what my body is doing and how it reacts to things. I noticed that my skin clarity has been on a downward slope since the fall – I had attributed it to eating all the Gus from training for 2 half ironmans…but its months later now and I still am not where I would like to be. So I decided to start an n=1 experiment, just me, trying a skin healing protocol outlined by Chris Kresser on his podcast Naturally Get Rid of Acne by Fixing your Gut. So for the next few weeks I’ll be trying a modified version of Paleo, I know I may not be perfect, but I’m going to give it a try, here are the things I’ll be tackling.
- No more butter, only Ghee — I have Ghee and butter from a local dairy farm, so now I’ll just use the Ghee
- No fodmaps – these are foods that are high in fructose and may cause irritation to the gut, these will restrict my choices of fruits and vegetables within the Paleo realm
- Add bone broth — I made some this weekend, there will be a post coming soon with the details
- Increase glycine rich foods — looks like unflavored/sweetened gelatin & pork rinds…we’ll see how I do with this category
- Consider removing eggs — I’m not going to do this right away, if I don’t see any change in 2 weeks I may try a week without eggs, but I love eggs and eat a lot of them and am not sure I’m willing to give them up!
- Add probiotics – raw sauerkraut, or supplement
- Supplements: Slippery Elm,Glutamine, Liquorice, HCL – to support digestion, Marshmallow Root — I will hold off on some of the supplementation for now since I don’t know how much to take, but may play around with glutamine and HCL support
Starting tomorrow my goal is to follow this protocol to the best of my ability and will see how Chris Kresser’s skin healing protocol works!